almost 3 years ago
Apply for Kusama Treasury Funding
Thank you for participating in Hacuksama! Judging has begun, and winners will be announced next Friday, August 28th. Now, are you interested in submitting a proposal to the Kusama Treasury to fund your project?
The Kusama Treasury is a pot of funds (currently 203,071 KSM) collected through transaction fees, slashing, staking inefficiencies, that can be spent by submitting a spending proposal that, if approved by the Council, will enter a waiting period before distribution.
Proposals may consist of (but not limited to):
- Infrastructure deployment and continued operation;
- Network security operations (monitoring services, continuous auditing);
- Ecosystem provisions (collaborations with friendly chains);
- Marketing activities (advertising, paid features, collaborations);
- Community events and outreach (meetups, hackerspaces);
- Projects focusing on the relationship between technology and art;
- Software development (wallets and wallet integration, clients and client upgrades).
For more information on what has been funded so far, please check here. The treasury is ultimately controlled by the Council, and how the funds will be spent is up to their judgment. But it is open to use for everyone willing to answer the question: How can my project contribute to Kusama's vision? And in the end, the Council attempts to spend as many proposals in the queue as it can without running out of funds. Your proposal should address a problem, a goal and an instrument to achieve this goal.
Make sure to be active on all channels and talk to the Council members to discuss your idea. Ultimately, the success of your proposal depends on the idea behind it but we suggest following these steps to cover the process:
- Join our communication channels to talk to Council members directly. To access the channels please create a Riot/Element account if you do not have one yet.
- Kusama Direction Channel: discusses Governance and initiatives of the Kusama network, including any submissions to the treasury
- Kusama Watercooler: it is considered the Kusama community general channel, for any related questions about Kusama Network.
- Council members have agreed on a list of elements to be included to better-assess the quality of a submission. This is only a recommendation; however, this type of structure increases the chances of an informed discussion. A proposal template can be found here for you to use as a guide.
Note: Think about your project in the mid and long-term and make sure to include notes about any type of funding required after development to maintain the project. This type of funding, although managed by a different proposal, should be taken into account when reviewing the project.
- In order to keep an organised record of the feedback related to a proposal, the Council advises to make sure all information is included on one of the available forums. One option is to open a new post on the discussions tab in Polkassembly or start a thread in Commonwealth. Once the post is published, share it along with your initial message on the Direction channel to open the discussion.
- Make sure you include an accessible link to your proposal document in your message for the Council.
- Be ready to answer questions on the forums and on the channels.
- If you want to learn more about current teams building with Kusama treasury funds, check out this article.